Insurance & Breakdown

Three named drivers are included as part of your Motability lease. These can be yourself, friends, family or carers but there are restrictions and a number of rules governing who is permitted to drive your Motability car.

Fully comprehensive insurance cover is provided on all cars and Wheelchair Assistance Vehicles (WAVs) and you should read your insurance booklet for details.

Any personal no-claims bonus will not be accrued during your lease. However, if you leave the Scheme, Motability will provide a claims history letter upon request which will be accepted by many insurance companies.

What’s covered:

  • Loss of, or damage to your vehicle
  • Accidental damage
  • Fire or theft damage
  • Repair or replacement glass
  • In-car equipment permanently fitted or supplied with the car as standard
  • Adaptations and modifications which are needed and which Motability were agreeable to and informed about
  • Any accessories or tools supplied with the vehicle
  • Replacement locks where keys have been stolen and the theft reported to the police
  • Driving the vehicle for voluntary or charitable work (provided you don’t receive a fixed regular payment by the organisation)
  • Travel to and from your normal workplace. Named drivers who do not live with you are not necessarily covered by these journeys.

Personal accident cover

In the event of an accident which causes death, loss of limbs and/or permanent loss of sight in one or both eyes, cover is provided up to a limit of £5,000 (per person) for the driver and any passengers.

What’s not covered

  • Your excess as detailed in your agreement and insurance policy document. If your car needs to be repaired, you must pay the excess before the repair can be undertaken.
  • Loss of keys
  • Personal belongings, which should be covered by your own household contents insurance.
  • Non-standard equipment or modifications
  • Damage to the vehicle interior such as rips, stains and burns that are not caused by fair wear and tear.
  • Driving other cars.
  • Unauthorised and uninsured drivers – remember only the named drivers shown on your Certificate of Motor Insurance are permitted to drive your Motability cover.
  • Business use other than travel to your usual workplace. Additional cover can be arranged through Motability if you need to use the car for business purposes.

Full breakdown support is provided through RAC Motability Assist but only applies to your Motability car or Wheelchair Assistance Vehicle (WAV) and not any other vehicle you travel in.

In the event of a breakdown or the vehicle failing to start, please call RAC Motability Assist on 0800 73 111 73 who will aim to respond within 45 minutes.

What’s covered:

  • Recovery to your nearest repairer if you breakdown at home, work or at the roadside
  • Onward travel/arrangements to get you to your destination
  • Replacement vehicles will be provided by Motability for up to 48 hours if your vehicle cannot be fixed followed by discussions on your mobility options if repairs extend beyond this period. Terms and conditions will apply on the use of any replacement vehicle.

What’s not covered:

  • Driving in Europe, where separate cover can be provided by RAC Motability Assist.
  • Caravans and trailers will incur an extra charge if the call out relates to these as opposed to the Motability vehicle towing them.

Under the terms of your Motability insurance cover, you can take your car or Wheelchair Assistance Vehicle (WAV) abroad within the European Union (EU) and to Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein free-of-charge for up to 90 days in any 12-month period.

You will need to obtain a VE103 (Vehicle on Hire) form to prove you are permitted to take the car abroad. This must be requested at least three weeks prior to your departure by calling the RAC Motability Assist foreign travel line on 0800 73 133 10.

RAC European Breakdown Cover can be arranged at the same time at no cost.

Servicing & Maintenance 

Read More 

Our Specialists

Read More